This tutorial will show you how to add a email newsletter opt-in form to the Genesis Framework using Convertkit.
Convertkit is awesome in that it provides an easy way to embed forms and landing pages into your site, but a lot of Genesis Child Themes have gorgeous styling for email sign up forms built in!
To keep this branding throughout your blog you can choose to use the plugin Genesis enews Extended with your theme rather than the default convertkit forms.
ConvertKit Email Sign Up Form
1 | Create Your List
In order to add an email sign up form to your site, you’ll first need to create an account with an email marketing provider.
Convertkit is in my opinion the best email marketing software designed for bloggers. It has a beautiful intuitive interface, allows for unlimited email sending and has all the features you could possibly need.
1. Login or sign up for ConvertKit
2 | Genesis eNews Extended
1. From you WordPress dashboard, navigate to Plugins > Add New
2. Install and activate the plugin Genesis eNews Extended
3 | Connect Your List
1. Navigate to Appearance > Widgets
2. Drag the widget “Genesis eNews Extended” to your desired location such as the Primary Sidebar widget.
3. Log back into Convertkit in a new browser tab.
Get started by navigating to Forms > Add New Form > Choose ‘Form’ > Choose ‘Inline’ > choose ‘Clean’ design > Save
4. View the form by clicking “View.” Your form will open in a new window.
5. Copy the URL
For example, my form url is https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/49318
6. Paste the URL into the ‘Form Action’ field of the Geneis eNews extended widget AND add ‘/subscribe.html’ the to the end of your url.
For example, my form’s url would now be https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/49318/subscribe.html
If you need any help regarding this, please contact your email marketing provider directly so that can give you specific support and instruction.
7. To add a ‘First Name’ field, type ‘first_name’ and to add an ‘E-Mail Address’ field, type ’email’
Ta Da !
Now your email opt-in is configured, all new subscribers’ email addresses will get pushed to your list!
(It is always a good idea to check this though, by going to the front end of your site and signing up yourself)
If you would like to add multiple email opt-in forms throughout the your site; the set up for each opt-in widget form is exactly the same.
Delivering an Opt-in Freebie with ConvertKit
1. From your Convertkit dashboard, navigate to Forms > choose your form > Setting.
The ‘Main Settings’ is were you can choose what happens after a user subscribes to your form. (Choose to show a success message, or redirect the subscriber to another page!)
2. Next, Scroll down to the ‘Incentive Email’ Settings. This is the email that sends when someone subscribes to your Form, also known as a confirmation email.
3. Now you can upload a lead magnet file such as freebie ebook, checklist or PDF.
4. Save and your lead magent will be delivered everytime someone subscribes to that form!
Creating & Designing Opt-ins
Not sure how to actually create and design your lead magnet?
We’ve been designing some gorgeous templates to easily get your lead magnet launched and looking lovely!
Feel free to browse our new Etsy Shop for all the styles!