This tutorial will show you how to add a email newsletter opt-in form to the Genesis Framework using Mailchimp.
You can add mailchimp forms easily with various plugins available, but a lot of Genesis Child Themes have gorgeous styling for email sign up forms built in!
To keep this branding throughout your blog you can choose to use the plugin Genesis enews Extended with your theme rather than the default mailchimp forms.
Mailchimp Email Sign Up Form
How to add a mailchimp email sign up form to a genesis wordpress website
1 | Create Your List
In order to add an email sign up form to your site, you’ll first need to create an account with an email marketing provider.
MailChimp is a great place to get started if you’re beginning to grow an email list and send the occasional newsletter. It’s also free to get started.
1. Login or sign up for Mailchimp
2 | Genesis eNews Extended
1. From you WordPress dashboard, navigate to Plugins > Add New
2. Install and activate the plugin Genesis eNews Extended
3 | Connect Your List
1. Navigate to Appearance > Widgets
2. Drag the widget “Genesis eNews Extended” to your desired location such as the Primary Sidebar widget.
3. Log into your Mailchimp account and go to “Lists” > “ Signup Forms” > “Embedded Forms”
4. Copy/Paste the code into a separate text editor, such as ‘ TextEdit’ (Mac) or ‘Notepad’ (Windows).
5. There’s a short snippet of highlighted code that we need that is about 9 lines down
For example, my form code is: <form action=”//sugarandcode.us8.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=52e8706d00b419bad08c5d8b9&id=17b764e2e8” method=”post” id=”mc-embedded-subscribe-form” name=”mc-embedded-subscribe-form” class=”validate” target=”_blank” novalidate>
6. Navigate back to “Appearance” > “Widgets” and paste the highlighted portion of the code into the ‘Form Action’ field of the widget.
If you need any help regarding this, please contact your email marketing provider directly so that can give you specific support and instruction.
To add a ‘First Name’ field, type ‘FNAME’
To add a ‘LAST NAME’ field, type ‘LNAME’ (optional)
To add an ‘E-Mail Address’ field, type ‘EMAIL’
To add a Submit Button, type you’re preffered ‘Sign Up’ ‘Subscribe’ or ‘Yes Please’
7 . Save!
Ta Da !
Now your email opt-in is configured, all new subscribers’ email addresses will get pushed to your list!
(It is always a good idea to check this though, by going to the front end of your site and signing up yourself)
If you would like to add multiple email opt-in forms throughout the your site; the set up for each opt-in widget form is exactly the same.
Delivering an Opt-in Freebie with Mailchimp
How to deliver an opt-in freebie with Mailchimp
After someone opts in to receive your email campaigns, you can send them a final welcome email to confirm their subscription and share an exclusive offer or file.
1. Navigate to Lists > Select the drop-down menu for your list, and click Signup forms.
2. Select Form builder > final welcome email from the Forms and response emails drop-down menu near the top of the page.
3. On the Build it tab, click inside the dashed lines to open the editor.
4. Type some text, like “Download your freebie” and highlight it and select the link icon.
5. In the Insert or Edit Link modal, choose File from the drop-down menu and upload your file.
6. Save & Close!
Creating & Designing Opt-ins
Not sure how to actually create and design your lead magnet?
We’ve been designing some gorgeous templates to easily get your lead magnet launched and looking lovely!
Feel free to browse our new Etsy Shop for all the styles!